Command (tool) AutoCAD Segment
|AutoCAD drawing command|
|segment in AutoCAD is part of straight line bounded by two points.|
|AutoCAD Tool Line segment - is cyclic command that allows you to build linked sequence of straight line segments (a broken line of segment objects).|
Segment command is most frequently used AutoCAD command. It serves to create broken lines consisting of segments, each segment being separate object.
How to build segment in AutoCAD
For construction of segment in program meets command Segment. You can call it in following ways (start building it):
- You can build segment from menu bar item "Drawing" - line Distance;
- You can draw it from toolbar on Drawing toolbar by clicking button on Line button or from classic Drawing toolbar - Line button;
- You can draw line in AutoCAD by typing command name in command line "Line".
After calling Segment command in AutoCAD, command prompt will appear:
In response to which you can specify point by clicking mouse, or enter coordinates in command line. After specifying first point of segment, you will be prompted at command line:
In response to which we indicate next point in any convenient way. After specifying second point of segment AutoCAD, system requires you to specify next point, and beginning of next segment begins at end point of previous segment.
segment command in AutoCAD is cyclic command and it will not stop its execution until we interrupt or complete it. To complete execution of Split tool, press "Enter" key or abort execution of command by pressing "Esc" key.
Command Options AutoCAD Segment
line in AutoCAD system is simplest primitive object, so "Line" command, during execution, contains minimum of options. functionality of this tool includes two standard options:
- "Cancel" - cancels setting of last point of AutoCAD segment;
- "Close" - closes construction of line consisting of several segments, connecting last specified point of extreme segment with first point of first segment.
Ways to choose option of Spacing command in AutoCAD (applicable to all commands)
To select Split tool options you can:
- Use context menu command. Click right mouse button anywhere in graphic area of drawing and select option from it using mouse.
- In options of tool, some letters are in capital letters (in our case, in options "Undo (T), Close (Z)". You should not call context menu or list of option of dynamic input of "Segment" command to select option, just look at command line. From AutoCAD 2013 version, command line options have become hyperlinks and you can see which letter in upper case option.
- Use dynamic input. Selecting command option in AutoCAD, as well as opening / closing list with options of "Segment" command in program is made by pressing "Up" and "Down" keys.
- Use command line hyperlinks in command line. Hyperlinks are marked with gray background and blue uppercase letters of options. Select by clicking.
Ways to select team options in AutoCAD
How to build segment in AutoCAD of given length (ways)
- first method is to set coordinates of segment points (depending on method of entering coordinates into command line, different components of segment values are needed).
- second way is to use dynamic input display in AutoCAD.
How to build segment of given length using dynamic input display
construction of segment in AutoCAD of given length at desired angle to horizontal line directed to right (by default), as well as other AutoCAD objects using dynamic input is used everywhere. fact is that this method of constructing segments (objects) is intuitive because of clarity and simplicity of construction. By enabling dynamic input in program, you can observe entered or specified values not only on command line, but also in small window, next to cursor. In addition, in process of building segment of AutoCAD, all useful auxiliary information is displayed - length of segment under construction, angle of current direction of segment relative to previous given point. Between fields displaying auxiliary information, you can switch by pressing "Tab" key.
We indicate first point of segment in an arbitrary way. In Dynamic Input Length field, enter length of AutoCAD segment, 100 mm. Press "Tab" key in "Angle" field, enter its value 45 degrees.
length of program in desired length and at right angle to horizon was built.
If you have not enabled dynamic input, you can enable it:
- In status bar (modes) by clicking on button "Dynamic Input";
- Press "F12" key.
How to convert line to polyline in AutoCAD?
Before converting segment to polyline in AutoCAD, you need to make sure that there are no gaps between segments! See note above.
Convert segment into polyline in AutoCAD in following ways:
- Use command "Polred";
- Use Connect command.
As in AutoCAD, convert segment to polyline using Polred command.
Call command "Polred". At command prompt appears:
In response to query in command line, select segment that needs to be converted to polyline. At command prompt appears:
We agree with default value. Select "Yes (Y)" by pressing "Enter" key. Next, query appears on command line:
And there is listing of option "Polred". Select option "Add" and successively add segments, which later will be segments of polyline.
How to convert line to polyline in AutoCAD using "Connect" command
Select Connect tool. Sections of AutoCAD, which need to be converted into polyline, you can pre-select or select after calling command. prompt appears on command line:
We select AutoCAD segments, consecutively following each other, or select all segments at once in way that is convenient for us (selection of objects). After selecting segments, press "Enter" key. "Connect" command stops its execution, and in status bar you can see that: so many polylines are received, so many of those objects are converted. If segments have been converted to 1 polyline, then status bar will be written: 1 polyline is received, so many segments. number of polyline segments equals number of converted segments in AutoCAD.
Useful lessons and related topics
I recommend to get acquainted with similar lessons on AutoCAD:
- auxiliary endless ray;
- key points;
- endless straight line;
- smooth curve spline;
- universal line polyline;
- parallel lines - multilines;
- how to find middle of segment in AutoCAD using object binding Mid;
- how to combine segments;
- how to break segment (broken line of segments) in AutoCAD;
- divide segment into equal parts;
- scaling by segment;
- break line into equal segments in AutoCAD.
Read and see also:
- command list;
- drawing in AutoCAD;
- Dimensioning and adjustment;
- program window (interface).
Courses, tutorials AutoCAD:
- 2D design.
- AutoCAD 3D Tutorials.
- descriptive geometry.
- Engineering graphics.
- House plan.
- Assembly drawing of spur gear.
- 3D kitchen model.
Video "How to build segment in AutoCAD, auxiliary (scribing) straight lines, rays"
Video "How to convert segment of AutoCAD to polyline, ways to select command option"