Auxiliary straight line in AutoCAD
|AutoCAD drawing command|
|Straight line is endless line in both directions.|
|Tool Straight line is cyclic command that allows you to build auxiliary lines (straight lines) starting at common point and endless in both directions.|
|Line drawing commands|
|Ray, Xline, Line, Polyline|
Old and new versions of program use Direct tool, which allows you to create auxiliary straight lines. In old versions of system, auxiliary lines were used extensively, so almost every drawing began with marking up Liszt (Model) space of future part, and then it was only encircled by segments, arcs and other objects. drawing was edited. In modern versions of system, any drawing can be drawn without using auxiliary straight lines in AutoCAD, because we have such powerful bindings and tracking tools at our disposal.
Building auxiliary straight straight lines
For creation of auxiliary straight line in AutoCAD, Direct command is responsible, which can be called in following ways:
- You can draw AutoCAD line from menu bar, and then click Drawing - Xline Line;
- You can create straight line from Drawing toolbar, click AutoCAD Direct button, and also on Home tab of tool ribbon in Drawing group select Xline button;
- You can draw straight line by directly entering command name on Xline command line.
After calling tool Xline, command prompt will appear:
To set reference point through which auxiliary line of AutoCAD will pass, you can enter coordinates in command line or by clicking mouse. As soon as you set reference point of straight line, system displays auxiliary line passing through this point. preliminary sketch of line will be attached to cursor and rotate in trail behind it relative to reference point. command prompt will prompt:
Now you need to specify direction of auxiliary line in AutoCAD, specifying second point through which it will pass. You can also set second point of infinite line arbitrarily with mouse or by entering coordinates.
As soon as you specify second point of straight line in AutoCAD, program will build it, but it will not complete execution of Direct command, since cyclic command. previous prompt appears on command line:
Thus, it is possible to create set of auxiliary straight lines intersecting at one point. To complete command, press "Enter" or interrupt execution of command by pressing "Esc" key.
>Construction of auxiliary straight lines extended methods
At beginning of work of Xline command (after call), 5 options are available to us, which allow us to create auxiliary straight lines in special way:
- "Gore" option is parallel to X axis of current UCS (in particular case, this is horizontal straight line of AutoCAD);
- "Ver" option is parallel to Y axis of current UCS (in particular case it is vertical straight line);
- option "Angle" - at certain angle (building line in AutoCAD at given angle);
- Option "Bisect" - creating straight line in form of bisector of angle specified by user (building bisector of angle in AutoCAD using "Direct" tool);
- "Offset" option is drawing line parallel to existing linear object with given offset from it.
Consider each option command in more detail.
Construction of horizontal and vertical straight lines in AutoCAD
Call tool AutoCAD Xline and before you set first anchor point, select option "Mountain". You can use any method of selecting command options. I will select "Gore" option from dynamic input.
After selecting this option, you will need to specify only one point through which auxiliary horizontal straight line of AutoCAD should pass.
"Ver" option is similar to previous option, only used to create vertical auxiliary straight AutoCAD lines by default (depends on UCS).
Building straight AutoCAD located at angle to horizontal or to any selected segment, straight
1) Create straight line in AutoCAD at angle to horizontal.
Call command Xline in AutoCAD, select option "Angle". command prompt will prompt:
In response to which we enter value of angle, for example, 45 degrees. This angle is counted from horizontal (positive X axis) to counterclockwise direction (by default). command prompt will prompt:
Specify point arbitrarily by clicking mouse or you can specify coordinates of point.
2) Construction of straight line in AutoCAD at angle to linear object (line segment, straight).
Call tool Xline, select "Angle" option and nested option "Baseline / Relative". command prompt will prompt:
In response to this, it is necessary to indicate any linear object (line segment, ray, straight line) relative to which angle will be measured (counterclockwise from object by default). Choose segment.
At command prompt:
We indicate angle of 45 degrees. Then you will be required to specify point through which auxiliary straight line will pass.
Construction of bisector of angle using auxiliary straight line
"Bisect" option of Direct in AutoCAD command allows you to build auxiliary line, which will be bisector of any angle. Select this option. At command prompt appears:
following query about point on first side of corner:
Next, request point on second side of corner:
Construction of auxiliary straight AutoCAD parallel to segments, rays and other straight lines
1) variant of building straight line parallel to linear object, with indication of magnitude of displacement.
Call tool Xline, then option "Offset". command prompt will prompt:
Now you need to enter number that will become distance between parallel lines (auxiliary line and selected line). We introduce value of 30 mm. Press "Enter". query appears:
Select linear object, for example, segment. following command line prompt:
Click mouse to point to any point on desired side of selected line, because two AutoCAD lines parallel to linear object can be built on plane. Specify point on left side of selected line. tool Cyclic Direct, so after building parallel auxiliary line for AutoCAD, it is necessary to specify next linear object in order to build relatively straight line with same offset of 30 mm. Finish command by pressing "Enter" key.
2) variant of constructing line parallel to linear object, with indication of point.
Call tool Xline, then select option "Indent", then option "Point".
command prompt will prompt:
In response to which we choose segment. query appears:
Those. you must specify point through which parallel auxiliary line AutoCAD will pass. I put down reference points in advance, choose one of them. program will build parallel auxiliary line and repeat query:
You can specify line relative to which you need to build parallel line in AutoCAD through point, or complete command by pressing "Enter" key/right mouse button, and also interrupt command by pressing "Esc" key.
Useful lessons and related topics
I recommend to get acquainted with similar lessons on AutoCAD:
- auxiliary endless ray;
- key points;
- broken line of segments;
- smooth curve spline;
- universal line polyline;
- perpendicular to line using object binding Normal;
- the program moves objects only at right angle (the ORTO binding is orthogonal constructions);
- conjugation of straight lines (circles) in AutoCAD;
- mate and circle in program (practical lesson).
Read and see also:
- how to draw objects;
- color lines in AutoCAD;
- AutoCAD window (interface);
- AutoCAD site;
- customization of program interface.
Courses, tutorials AutoCAD:
- 2D design.
- 3D modeling.
- Начертательная геометрия.
- Engineering graphics.
- House plan.
- Assembly drawing of spur gear.
- 3D kitchen model.
Video "How to build auxiliary (marking) line in AutoCAD, beam and segment"